Senior Economy Designer
Intrepid Studios is looking for a passionate and talented Senior Economy Designer, interested in creating brand new worlds with a brand-new IP. Our Senior Economy Designer would take ownership of the game economy for Ashes of Creation and how all of the economic systems contribute to this economy, including crafting systems, item drops, quest rewards, and many more. They will create, balance, and manage the ins and outs of many different items and game currencies within a massive player-driven economy driven by thousands of players. They will constantly work alongside designers in other disciplines to establish reward structures and currency sinks that make various game systems feel rewarding while also maintaining a healthy mass economy. A passion for MMORPGs is required!
- Design overarching reward structures and currency systems fit for a player-driven economy in an MMORPG.
- Create economic systems that facilitate fun gameplay loops that enhance gameplay replayability.
- Maintain overall balance between multiple interacting economic systems to establish a healthy game economy.
- Develop and maintain documentation and spreadsheet balance of economic systems.
- Continually iterate, balance and tune features and gameplay based on feedback from team, QA, and playtesting.
- Communicate, coordinate, and participate in a collaborative, interdisciplinary, cross-studio team environment.
- Be adaptable, detail-oriented, well-organized and a great communicator.
- Mentor junior designers.
- 5+ years of game development experience in an economy designer role.
- Shipped multiplayer titles on the current generation of consoles or PC.
- Strong proficiency in Excel spreadsheet maintenance and balancing.
- Passion for games and game development.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong ability to deconstruct high-level gameplay systems and creative direction into specific technical details, features and tasks.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative, interdisciplinary, iterative environment, while delivering under deadlines and time constraints.
- Ability to learn new development tools and technologies.
- Unreal 4 experience is a major plus.
Required Application Materials:
- Cover Letter which should include:
- Why you are interested in working at Intrepid
- What games you are currently playing
Below you'll find an outline of the interview plan for this role. Please note that while this is what we expect the process to look like; we may ask you for supplemental information or require an additional step before making a final decision.
- 30 min interview with a member of our Talent Team
- 30 min interview with the hiring manager
- Panel interviews with several members of the hiring team
- Final interview with the executive team
- References calls & a background check
The base salary for this role is between $85,000 - $136,000, depending on skills and experience. We have competitive pay bands based on market standards and a significant annual bonus structure. Individual compensation decisions are based on a number of factors, including experience level, skillset, and balancing internal equity relative to peers at the company. We expect the majority of the candidates who are offered roles at our company to fall healthily throughout the range based on these factors. We recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. If that ends up being the case, the updated salary range will be communicated with you as a candidate.
We deliberately encourage individuals from all backgrounds, including race, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability status, to apply for positions. We are an equal opportunity employer and we're committed to a fair and consistent interview process and employer experience.
Founded in 2015, Intrepid Studios is the independent developer and publisher of the upcoming and Most Anticipated MMORPG, Ashes of Creation. Based in beautiful Southern California, Intrepid has assembled a veteran AAA team of tremendous talent and experience in the MMORPG industry. The gaming industry can be a turbulent storm of hiring cycles and layoffs. We’ve set out to do something different, to break this cycle and create an independent studio capable of withstanding the chaos of this industry. We’ve brought on-board a team of professionals that hold a diverse set of skills, and who all share a singular goal: making fun games. The studio is designed to be an open place for collaboration and communication, a place that is conducive to team building and success. Our goal is to build a family that will laugh together, play together, succeed together, and stay together. All posted positions are full-time with generous medical benefit options covered 100% by employer for employees and dependents plus paid vacation & sick days, and 401k with matching.
We're proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Intrepid Studios will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Applicants of all ages, identities, and backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Intrepid Studios will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
See more details on your right to work here: https://www.e-verify.gov/sites/default/files/everify/posters/IER_RighttoWorkPoster.pdf.
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. See more details here: https://e-verify.uscis.gov/web/media/resourcesContents/E-Verify_Participation_Poster_ES.pdf.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.